Search This Site

Move-Out Information

Summer's Almost Here

The end of the spring semester is fast approaching! Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about moving out of University housing.




I'm an undergraduate student. When do I need to move out?

All on-Grounds undergraduate residents (including both first-years and upperclass students) must move out within 24 hours of their last exam or by 12 noon on Saturday, May 11, 2024, whichever comes first. If you are required to stay on Grounds beyond that time, please see "What if I need to stay past the Closing date?" below.

I'm a graduate student. When do I need to move out?

Housing agreements end on May 31, unless you renew for an additional 12 months. Short-term housing extensions beyond May 31 for academic reasons may be requested by emailing but are not guaranteed.

Please note that graduate students living on the Range must move out by 12 noon on Tuesday, May 21, 2024.

Graduate students living on Grounds will receive an email from Housing & Residence Life with graduate housing check-out and cleaning information.

See the Graduate Housing FAQ for additional details on graduate student housing.


HOW DO I MOVE OUT? (undergraduates)

How do I check out?

  1. Attend your RA's Closing Meeting. Your RA will provide you with the information you need.
  2. Sign up for a time to check out of your space with your RA. The deadline to sign up is Tuesday, April 30.
  3. Clean your room, remove all trash and take to dumpsters, and coordinate with roommates to establish responsibilities for cleaning any common areas, bathrooms and kitchens.
  4. Remove all personal belongings from your room and common areas. Leave the empty trash can and other Housing & Residence Life property in the room.
  5. Report any damages using the online work order system.
  6. Close and lock all windows, turn off all lights, close and lock all doors.
  7. Schedule a check-out meeting with an RA when you complete your move out.
  8. All residents must have a closing walk-through with an RA to check the room condition compared to the condition at move-in. When meeting with the RA, explain who was responsible for any damages or condition changes. You may be charged for any damages or changes to your room, making it important to have dialogue with your RA at the closing walk-through.
  9. If you are a Lawn resident, return your key to your SR before you leave. Any key not returned will result in a lock change fee.

What do I need to clean?

  • Sweep/vacuum the floor (including under furniture) and take trash to the dumpster. Remove wall hangings and all of your personal belongings.
  • Double-check drawers, wardrobes, and cabinets for belongings.
  • Don't dump unwanted belongings - participate in UVA's Hoos ReUse!
  • If you rented a microfridge, you need to empty it, defrost it, clean it, and leave it unplugged. See Cleaning Tips.
  • Bice, Bond, Copeley, Faulkner, and Lambeth: You are responsible for cleaning the oven/stove, the refrigerator, and the bathroom. See Cleaning Tips.
  • Brown College: You are responsible for cleaning the bathroom. See Cleaning Tips.

What if there's damage to my housing?

You may be billed for room damages beyond normal wear and tear. We encourage all residents to check out with their RA, as outlined above. This process allows residents to explain possible damages in rooms, hallways, and common areas. RAs and other University staff will assess spaces for billable damages during the move-out period. More detailed policies regarding damages are available at our Damages page.

How is parking handled for move-out?

Parking regulations are in effect and are not waived during the exam period. Move-out is not concentrated on two days like move-in, but is spread out over the exam period. While ticketing does occur during this time, Parking & Transportation (P&T) understands that students are leaving residence areas, and takes this into consideration. P&T will ticket vehicles that cause a safety concern, such as parking in or blocking a fire lane. If you need to temporarily park in a fire lane or on a sidewalk, we recommend that someone stay with the vehicle so you are not ticketed and the vehicle can be moved in case of an emergency. We also suggest that you reach out to P&T regarding parking in lots adjacent to residential areas.

Please visit for additional details.

What if I accidentally leave belongings here?

The University does not provide storage for personal belongings after vacating and closing of residential spaces. If you accidentally leave an item behind:

  • Items of value remaining after a space has been officially vacated will be treated as abandoned property. You will be charged for the removal, transport and storage of all items:
    • Charge per box under 25 pounds: $50 (minimum charge)
    • Charge per box over 25 pounds: $75
    • Charge per fridge or TV: $100
  • To claim abandoned property within 120 days after the official vacate date, contact the Housing & Residence Life mailroom supervisor at
  • Property not claimed at the end of the 120 period will be sold through UVA Surplus Property or donated to charitable organizations.

What about my mail?

The last day for regular mail delivery is Friday, May 10, 2024.

  • Friday, May 10: All mailrooms will be open until 5 p.m.
  • Monday, May 13-Friday, May 17: For students who remain in on-Grounds housing, mail will be available at the Cauthen mailroom. Hours at Cauthen will be Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.

For students who have moved out of on-Grounds housing, mail that can be forwarded will be sent to the student's home address on record. Mail can only be forwarded for 6 months (after that time, all mail will be returned to the sender). Mail that cannot be forwarded, regardless of timing (FedEx, UPS, DHL), will be returned to the sender. Magazines, newspapers, and packages delivered by carriers other than the United States Postal Service (USPS) will not be forwarded.

Please note that all on-Grounds mailrooms are closed on weekends and University holidays.

If you live on the Lawn or Range, please contact the U.S. Postal Service to request a change of address.

Can I donate some of my belongings?

Yes! Hoos ReUse is an annual charitable donation drive run by the Office of Sustainability that allows students living on Grounds to donate gently used items during move-out. Accepted items include gently used clothing, furniture, books, electronics, linens, and dishware. Please only donate items in gently used and working condition. Non-perishable food items will be collected in specific locations. All donated items will be used to benefit local non-profits.

Donations will be accepted from Monday, April 22 through Friday, May 12. Drop-off locations will be either exterior or interior, depending on the residential area. Signage will be posted by Monday, April 29 in drop-off locations. See the full list of drop-off locations, including non-perishable collection bins, at the Hoos ReUse webpage.

Students who live off-Grounds and have items to donate should consider donating to a local organization such as Refurnished Cville, Goodwill, or The Habitat Store.


WHAT IF I NEED TO STAY LATE? (undergraduates)

What if I need to stay past the Closing date?

Students wishing to move out after 12 noon on Saturday, May 11, 2024, are required to submit a Late Stay Application.

Late Stay Applications must be submitted between Monday, April 8 and Wednesday, May 1 at 11:59 p.m. Not all Late Stay requests can be approved, and in order to qualify you must be one of the following:

  • A student taking spring semester exams scheduled on or after May 11, 2024
  • A student who has reserved on-Grounds housing for Summer Session I (May 19-June 16, 2024)
  • An athletic team member required to stay for continued participation in your sport
  • A member of the Class of 2024 participating in Final Exercises
  • A member of a University group participating in Final Exercises
  • A student with an international flight leaving after May 11 which was booked prior to April 8, 2024
  • A student required to stay on Grounds due to their immigration status

If you believe that other circumstances require you to remain on Grounds after noon on May 11, please contact Housing & Residence Life prior to the May 3 deadline. Note that completing the application does not automatically qualify you for a Late Stay. The last day for which Late Stays will be approved is Monday, May 20, 2024. An exception is made for students living on the Lawn and Range, who must move out by noon on Tuesday, May 21, 2024.

You will receive an email from Housing & Residence Life indicating whether your request is approved.

How do I apply for Late Stay housing?

Click the link below and log into in the housing portal to apply for a Late Stay. Late Stay Applications must be submitted between Monday, April 8 and Wednesday, May 1 at 11:59 p.m.

Once you've logged in through NetBadge and are on the Welcome page in the housing portal, click the "Spring 2024 Late Stays" link in the orange menu bar on the upper left. On mobile, this link may appear in the dropdown menu at the upper left.

What happens if I'm approved for Late Stay housing?

If you are approved for Late Stay housing, you will receive instructions for obtaining a door sign with your move-out date. Please note that if your room does not have a door sign, housekeeping and maintenance personnel have permission to enter as if it were unoccupied.

The last day for Late Stay housing is Monday, May 20, 2024. An exception is made for students living on the Lawn and Range, who must move out by noon on Tuesday, May 21, 2024.

Is there a charge for Late Stay Housing?

There is no charge for Late Stay housing though Monday, May 20, 2024.



Where can I find information about Graduation Housing for my family and friends?

On-Grounds accommodations for Finals Weekend 2024 are sold out. For information on area hotels and room availability, please visit the Charlottesville/Albemarle County Convention and Visitors Bureau website.

Where can I find information about housing for the summer?

If you are enrolled in UVA Summer Session classes for credit during any of the sessions, you are eligible for Summer Session Housing. Details are available at our Summer Session Housing page.

  • If you are participating in a summer internship or UVA-affiliated research program, please do not apply for Summer Session Housing. Instead, please see the information available for Summer Intern & UVA-Affiliated Programs Housing.
  • If you are part of the Summer Language Institute, you will need to apply for Sessions II and III in Summer Session Housing.