Search This Site


Answers About Compensation

Please note that this information applies to Resident Advisors (undergraduate housing) and not Community Assistants (graduate housing). Interested Community Assistant applicants can find most pertinent information on the Community Assistant Applications page.

What are the remunerations?

RAs receive a furnished room rent-free during the term of appointment, including all utilities except telephone and cable TV. RAs also receive a partial Resident Staff Meal Plan (see position description for details). Compensation for the cost of your meal plan will be made through SIS. You may upgrade your meal plan, but you will be responsible for paying the difference between cost of the Resident Staff Meal Plan and your desired upgrade.

What if I’ve already signed a contract to live somewhere else?

If you’ve signed a contract for on-Grounds housing and accept a position on Resident Staff, your housing agreement will be transferred to your Resident Staff room. If you have signed a lease for off-Grounds housing, you will need to work with the property manager to determine whether you can be released from that contract.

Will being an RA affect my financial aid?

Housing & Residence Life strives to develop a diverse team of Resident Advisors that is representative of the wider University population. We encourage students from all socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for a position on Resident Staff. Qualified applicants will not be discriminated against based on their socioeconomic status.

However, the remunerations you receive as a Resident Advisor may affect the financial aid award(s) you receive from the University. Students having questions about financial aid with respect to the Resident Advisor program should email at Student Financial Services.