Decoration policies are designed to aid in fire prevention and keep all residents safe. Please see the Fire Prevention page for additional information, and our What to Bring page for details on permitted and prohibited appliances.
Please keep these policies in mind when decorating your room/suite/apartment.
- Curtains, draperies, hangings, banners, and fabric flags are not permitted. They may not be suspended from walls, windows, or ceilings. Windows are furnished with compliant blinds or shades.
- Large, bulky furniture should not be brought to Grounds (all undergraduate housing areas are furnished).
- The total wall space covered by permitted combustible material (posters, corkboards, or calendars) must be less than 10%. Any additional combustible material on the walls must be framed under glass or acrylic/Plexiglas.
- No metal tacks, fasteners, screws, or nails are permitted. We recommend using mounting puttty as it does not usually remove paint or cause damage to walls. Please test the putty product on one area of your wall before using in multiple areas. We do not recommend adhesive strips, but if you use them, we ask that you please leave them on the wall when you leave your housing. Our facilities staff will attempt to safely remove these from the wall for you. Note that you can be held financially responsible for any damages made to your wall.
- Nothing may be suspended from or attached to the ceiling or sprinkler and heat pipes. Furniture and stored items must remain at least 18 inches below the ceiling and sprinkler heads at all times.
- Paper lanterns may not be used with bulbs. Lanterns without bulbs are permitted, but may not be suspended from walls or ceilings.
- No more than three strands of decorative lights can be strung together.
- Furniture and personal belongings cannot touch radiator/heating units. These items also cannot be stacked against or in front of radiator/heating units.
- Please see the Prohibited Items page for additional non-decoration items prohibited in on-Grounds residences.