Search This Site

What to Bring

Have Questions About What to Bring?

We have put together this list of suggestions to help you make some informed decisions about what to bring to UVA. You may also want to check out the Cav Program website, which includes a one-stop shop for first-year dorm essentials, linens, fridges, and electronic accessories. If you are unsure about anything that you are considering bringing with you, please contact us.

Recommended Items to Bring


Bed linens (please see the webpage for your housing area for information on bed size).

Comforter or quilt.




Bath towels and washcloths.

A shower caddy.

Personal toiletries: bath soap/gel, deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste, contact lens/vision care, skincare, hair care, shaving/grooming supplies.

A hair dryer. Electrical curling irons/heating curlers with an enclosed heating coil are also permitted.


Computer equipment with a wireless network card (Ethernet ports are generally not available in residence halls). The Cav Program offers computers for students with preloaded hardware and software meeting the standards set by UVA schools and departments.

A cell phone (AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon recommended).

An alarm clock.

A UL-rated power strip, with built-in circuit breaker and on/off switch.

Closet and Laundry Supplies

Clothes hangers.

A laundry bag and liquid detergent for high efficiency machines.

A clothes iron.

Room Decor

Lamp(s) (see restrictions under Prohibited Items below).

Posters and photos (should not cover more than 10% of wall surfaces)

Mounting putty (adhesive mounting strips are not recommended)

See our Decoration Policies page for more information.

Miscellaneous Items

A flashlight.

First-aid kit.

For Upperclass and Graduate Apartments

Upperclass and graduate students living in apartment-style residence areas should also bring paper products (including toilet paper and paper towels) and cooking supplies (cookware, dishes, and utensils).


Optional Items to Bring

As you are packing the items you want to bring to Grounds, we encourage you to evaluate what you truly need and to consider the size of your room.

Sample floor plans are available on the individual housing pages in the sections of our website for first-year, transfer, and upperclass housing.


If you bring a bicycle, make sure to bring a good lock!

Parking and Transportation shares additional bike resources on their website.

TVs and Entertainment

The University does not offer cable TV service. Students who have their own streaming service provider(s) can use those services on Grounds.

Video game systems may be used in on-Grounds housing as well.

Kitchen and Food Preparation

One microwave and one small refrigerator per bedroom, or one combination microfridge unit per bedroom. You may rent a microfridge from the UVA Bookstore. You may also bring your own combination microfridge, or bring a separate microwave (1200 watts or less) and/or refrigerator (5.0 cubic ft. or less). Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding how these appliances should be plugged in.

One single-serve pod-type coffee maker per room (1200 watts or less) is also permitted.

In addition, popcorn poppers, rice cookers, crock pots, instant pots, and hot water kettles (1200 watts or less) are all permissible in on-Grounds housing. Small appliances with an exposed heating element are not allowed (see "Appliances" under Prohibited Items, below).

If you live in a first-year area or upperclass hall-style area and you opt to bring approved cooking appliances, you may wish to bring dishes and utensils as well.


Prohibited Items


Pets (except small non-lethal fish, in an aquarium no larger than 20 gallons).

Bird feeders.


All weapons, fireworks, explosives, and other items prohibited by University policy, including but not limited to:

  • all type of guns (handguns, rifles, etc.)
  • B.B. guns
  • ammunition
  • bows and arrows
  • paintball guns
  • firecrackers or explosives
  • slingshots
  • swords
  • knives with blades longer than 4"
  • martial arts tools


Large, bulky furniture (all undergraduate housing areas are furnished).

Cinder blocks or lofts for propping beds.

Room decor

Bed tents and bed curtains.

Curtains, draperies, hangings, banners, and fabric flags.

Certain types of lamps:

  • halogen torchiere lamps
  • "octopus" lamps
  • lamps with plastic shades

LED strip lights with adhesive backing.

Live and artificial decorative trees.


Air conditioners.

Air fryers.

Exterior aerials or satellite dishes.

Bidets (requires permission from Housing & Residence Life as well as installation and removal by UVA Facilities Management; cannot be approved in undergraduate housing).

Cooking and heating appliances (permitted items listed under Optional Items, above).

Indoor electric grills.

Deep fryers.

Toasters or toaster ovens.

Oversized refrigerators.


Ceiling fans.

Space heaters.

Washing machines.

Portable dishwashers.

See Fire Prevention for more information.


Personal networking equipment such as routers, switches, wireless access points, and range extenders

Devices that operate on 2.4 GHz and 5.1 GHz frequencies such as cordless telephones, microwaves, baby monitors, wireless speakers, and wireless (not Bluetooth) headsets (devices operating on 900 MHz and 5.8 GHz frequencies are permitted)

Extension cords

Multi-plug adapters or converters

Hazardous Items

Open flames:

  • candles
  • incense
  • oil lamps
  • hookahs

Electric Transportation

Self-balancing electric wheeled boards (Hoverboards/ electric skateboards.

Electric scooters

Electric bikes.

Cars (applies to first-years)

First-years may not register, store, or park vehicles on Grounds. First-year parking exceptions will only be granted with an approved SDAC (Student Disability Access Center) accommodation. For more information, see the "Parking Eligibility for First Years" section at UVA Parking & Transportation's Student Parking webpage.

Upperclass students, graduate students, and faculty/staff should review the Parking Permits section of the UVA Parking & Transportation website for additional information.