Search This Site


Am I eligible to be an RA?

What do Resident Assistants (RAs) do?

RAs in undergraduate housing areas work with residents to build community through programming and individual relationships. RAs also work closely with their peers in weekly meetings and take part in required summer training (O-week) as well as ongoing training throughout the year.

In graduate housing areas, Community Assistants articulate the philosophy and policies of the Division of Student Affairs, Office of the Dean of Students, and Housing & Residence Life (HRL) to residents in their community, and and also represent the needs of their residents.

Who can apply to be an RA?

All prospective RAs/Community Assistants must have and maintain a cumulative GPA of a 2.25 or higher and be in good academic standing as defined by your school. These requirements apply at the time of your application submission, throughout your candidacy, and during the time of your appointment.

Prospective RAs must also be in good judicial/disciplinary standing with the University. Having a judicial history does not eliminate a candidate from consideration, but the nature of the incident(s) may have bearing upon your candidacy.

I'm a first-year student. Can I apply?

Yes! If you are a current first-year student at the University of Virginia, you are eligible to apply to be an RA in undergraduate housing areas. Rising first-year students (students currently in high school) aren't eligible to apply.

I am a graduate student. Can I apply?

Graduate students with residence life experience at another institution need to have been enrolled at UVA for at least one year to be eligible to apply for an RA position in upperclass areas. Only students who are finishing the last year of a 5-year UVA master's degree program are eligible to be placed in first-year areas. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis, dependending on staffing needs.

Graduate students may also serve fellow residents in on-Grounds graduate housing communities as a Community Assistant.

I am an international student. Can I apply?

Absolutely! We would welcome your application. However, we encourage you to check with the International Studies Office if you are unsure about whether your visa status would allow you to be an RA.

I am studying abroad this year. Can I still apply to be an RA?

We can accommodate individuals who are studying abroad so that they may participate in the RA selections process. Individuals who are studying abroad must indicate as such on the application.

If you are currently studying abroad, you are encouraged to submit your application as early as possible! Interviews will be conducted via telephone or Skype. Please email with any questions.

If I was previously an RA but went abroad for a semester. I want to be an RA when I return. Do I need to re-apply for the position?

No, you do not need to re-apply. However, you do need to let Associate Dean of Students Andy Petters know that you wish to re-claim a position before the spring semester. Re-appointment is not guaranteed, and is subject to review of your previous performance.