Be A Leader, Contribute to the UVA Community
Housing & Residence Life offers employment opportunities for students and staff throughout the year. Each year we hire approximately 325 students who make substantial contributions to the residential community at UVA. We would love to have you join our team!
Associate Director of IT Operations
HRL is seeking an Associate Director of IT Operations to manage the day-to-day operation of technology supporting our administrative and student staff. This is a full-time, in-person University Managerial and Professional Staff position with benefits, responsible for a range of services in support of the mission to provide a secure, reliable, and cost-effective technology environment.
The Associate Director will be responsible for supervising IT staff, resolving technical problems, monitoring and maintaining equipment and systems, and supporting housing management applications.
- Supervision and Performance Management: Provide direct supervision for four IT staff members, maintaining a culture that is supportive, inclusive, collaborative, high-performing, and healthy.
- Technical Support: Facilitate the diagnosis and timely resolution of problems related to desktop and laptop computers, mobile devices, printers, digital signs, electronic door access, and associated software systems.
- Technology Management: Prepare short- and long-range plans and budgets for the department's IT operations. Use and develop tools to monitor systems, proactively identify problems, and streamline business processes.
- Application Support: Support departmental software applications including StarRez housing management system. Assist HRL staff with reporting, data collection, assessments, forms, surveys, and data analysis.
Please see the full job posting for more details.
The below qualifications are required or preferred, as noted.
- High School Diploma. Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related discipline preferred.
- At least three years of relevant work experience. Six to ten years of relevant work experience preferred.
- Current and valid U.S. driver's license.
- Experience with KACE, JAMF, or equivalent system management software
- Experience with SharePoint, PowerBI, and other Office 365 tools and applications
- Experience with scripting and programming languages
In addition, a competitive applicant for the Associate Director position will possess the following preferred knowledge areas, skills, and abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of a broad range of hardware and software technologies used in a university business environment, including Windows, Mac OS, and iOS platforms
- Experience supporting enterprise applications, maintaining databases, and preparing reports
- Proven troubleshooting skills and the ability to diagnose and resolve complex desktop software, hardware, and network issues
- Strong leadership, sound judgement, and a high degree of personal initiative
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team and to supervise the work of others
- Excellent customer service and relationship-building skills, including the ability to work with a diverse population
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills, and ability to present proposals/ideas and to communicate complex technical information to novice computer users
- Project management skills, high attention to detail, and ability to organize tasks to meet deadlines
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply to posting #R0053061 at uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs. This posting also contains additional information about the position.
In addition to administrative positions posted on this page, please see the pages for Resident Staff selections for information on those openings and the processes to apply. Don’t forget that our friends at Conferences@UVA offer job opportunities in which students welcome and support University guests.
These positions are often the first step in a multi-year commitment with Housing & Residence Life. We place a great deal of trust in our students, and we value the contributions they make to our department and the University.