Digital signage is displayed in Housing & Residence Life (HRL) buildings to share important University, departmental, and student organization information with residents and promote events that are open to all students on Grounds.
- Digital signage is installed in various locations, including residence hall lobbies, on residence hall floors, and in common areas.
- Not all HRL on-Grounds housing areas are served by digital signage.
- HRL recognizes and supports the rights of students and staff to promote, inform, and advertise in a lawful manner within these designated areas.
- Registered student organizations and University departments are eligible to submit digital signage content.
Materials submitted are subject to the Digital Signage Regulations below. At any time, HRL administration may deny requests or remove any previously approved requests. Display of materials does not constitute endorsement by HRL.
Content Format Requirements
Marketing materials to be displayed on the digital signage boards must be fully complete and meet the following requirements before it will be approved.
- Format: PNG or JPG only (PDF formats will not be accepted)
- Display Size: 1920 x 1080 pixels (16:9 widescreen, horizontal format)
- All material must be complete upon submission and include:
- the name of the University department or registered student organization
- the date, time, and location of the event, if applicable
- Texts and fonts should be clear, concise, and placed over contrasting backgrounds to ensure information is easy to read and understand
- Including no more than 20-30 words allows for maximum readability -- the fewer words, the better
If approved, please allow 1-2 business days for the digital display to be posted. Displays should be submitted at least 48 hours in advance of the desired run time start date.
Display Order Priority
Digital Signage will be displayed in the following order of priority:
- Emergency information
- Housing & Residence Life content
- University departments and registered student organizations
Digital Signage Regulations
All digital signage will be reviewed by Housing & Residence Life for approval. Digital signage content should reflect the best interests of the University of Virginia, its students and employees, and the surrounding community. Digital signage designs must comply with the following standards:
Digital signage content shall not:
- contain alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drug references or images
- contain sexually explicit references or images, and may not advertise sexually oriented businesses (including, but not limited to, adult bookstores and escort services)
- be political or religious in nature, or advocate for a specific policy, candidate, party, or religion
- be slanderous or deceptive
- include inflammatory material
- contain obscene language or imagery
- depict acts of violence
- include personal messages
- include the copyrighted or trademarked works of others, except for appropriately used University logo graphics
- promote invitation-only programs, events, or activities, except for housing association programming designed to serve a specific on-Grounds residential community.
- promote events, activities, or products on behalf of parties not affiliated with the University of Virginia