Search This Site

Locks and Lockouts

We've compiled a list of common topics related to accessing your room. If you have a question not answered here, please contact Housing & Residence Life at 434.924.3736 or

Please report all lost or stolen access cards and keys online.

Watch our video showing how to set a PIN and use your University ID to open your room door at our Using Keyless Locks page.

How do I set the PIN for my keyless lock?

You can find instructions for how to set your PIN, as well as accessing other keyless lock functions from your phone, on our Access Control from your Phone page.

You can also watch our video to learn about setting a PIN and using your University ID to open your room door:

If you need to set a PIN and do not have access to a mobile device or tablet, the Housing & Residence Life Front Desk can set a PIN code for you in person during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.). Be sure to bring a photo ID! Note: the front desk staff cannot set PIN codes over the phone.

My door has a keyless lock. How do I use it?

The video below will show you how to set your PIN and open your room door using your University ID.

To open your door:

To open your door after you've set up your PIN:

  • Place your University ID card flat against the keypad. The embossed rotunda on the card should be centered at the 4-5-6 numbers on the key pad. You may need to make a slight left/right movement with the card.
  • The lock will beep and red and green LED lights will alternate back and forth.
  • Enter your PIN followed by the pound sign (#). The lock should beep after each key press. The PIN and # must be entered before the red and green lights stop flashing.
  • The green LED light will flash once, indicating you may use the door handle to open the door.

What do I do if I forgot the PIN for my keyless lock?

PINs can be reset through a website on your mobile phone - see Access Control from your Phone.

The Housing & Residence Life Office can reset PINs Monday to Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. You must visit in person and present a photo ID when requesting a PIN reset. No email or telephone requests can be accepted.

Can I use my phone to open my keyless lock?

Yes! Housing in residential areas with keyless electronic locks can be opened using the Mobile ID app, which must be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play.

Please visit the Mobile ID webpage to learn more about setting up and using this option on your device.

What do I do if my room requires a physical key and I'm locked out?

If your housing has a physical key and are locked out of your room, please call Systems Control at 434.924.3053. A member of the facilities staff will be dispatched to your location.

You must present a student ID or other photo ID (driver's license, state ID or military ID). If you do not have your ID, another student who has their student ID may vouch for you.

What do I do if I lose my key (physical keys only)?

In accordance with our security policy, all affected locks must be changed if your housing operates with a physical key, and that key is lost.  Lock changes will occur regardless of the circumstances surrounding the key loss.

  • Residents in Undergraduate housing (the Lawn) and Graduate housing (Copeley Hill, Faulkner Drive, the Range) should report the lost key(s) using the online lock change request. Your student account will be billed $100.00 per lock changed.

Stolen keys should be reported to the University Police. The lock change will be made at no charge to the victim as long as a copy of the police report is provided to the Housing & Residence Life Office within seven (7) business days.

Locks are usually changed on the same day or on the following business day. You and your apartment-mate(s) will need to come to the Housing & Residence Life office and must present photo IDs to pick up your new keys.

What do I do if I have lost my ID?

You must immediately report your lost ID, then go the ID Card Office on the first floor of O-Hill Dining to purchase a replacement ID. Please refer to the University ID Card Office for information.

If you are locked out after ID Card Office hours, some keyless locks can be operated using your mobile phone until you are able to obtain a new ID - see Access Control from your Phone.

For all other keyless locks or if you are not able to use your mobile phone, you can use the emergency blue phones to call a roommate to let you in or call Systems Control (434.924.3053).

Do you have temporary mail keys?

No, mailbox locks must be changed if you lose a key. Residents in Graduate Housing should report lost mail keys using the online lock change request.

My room/apartment door lock is not working properly. What should I do?

Place a work order to report the problem during normal business hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. If your lock is not working after business hours, or on a weekend or holiday, please call 434.924.3053. Your call will automatically be forwarded to Systems Control for response by emergency callback staff.