You may be thinking ahead to final exams and going home to see family and friends. Below is some information to help you prepare for the end of the semester.
Winter Break & J-Term Housing (2018-2019)
- The first-year residence areas (Alderman Road, Gooch/Dillard, Malone & Weedon Houses, and McCormick Road) will be closed for winter break. Students and Resident Staff in these areas will need to find alternate accommodations from 12:00 noon on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 until 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
- Students living in the first-year residence areas who need to return for J-Term classes or athletic team participation may return on or after 8:00 a.m. on January 2, 2019.
- Students should make sure to take all important belongings (passports, medication, etc.) when leaving for Winter Break! Students living in first-year dorms who forget something urgent (passport, medication) in their rooms and need to retrieve such an item can contact Housing & Residence by calling the Gibbons House front desk (434.924.3736) on Thursday, December 20 or Friday, December 21 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. HRL and the University will be closed from Saturday, December 22 through Tuesday, December 1. After December 21, your next opportunity to access your room will be Wednesday, January 2.
- All upperclass housing areas, including Residential Colleges, will remain accessible to residents.
- If your housing area is remaining open during Winter Break and J-Term and you plan to live on-Grounds at any point from December 19, 2018 through January 10, 2019, you must complete the Winter Break & J-Term Housing Form (see button below).
- Any student who chooses to return to on-Grounds housing during the Winter Break period should be prepared for reduced services and must be ready to accept increased responsibility for their personal safety. Please carefully read the Safety Reminders and Facilities and Services information below.
- All residence areas will open to students returning for the spring semester on Friday, January 11, 2019.
Housing in University of Virginia residences during the Winter Break or J-Term periods is offered under the same terms and conditions as stated on your academic year Housing Agreement. There will be very few residents staying on-Grounds during these times, and members of the Resident Staff will not be present to assist you during most of the Winter Break and J-Term period. You will be responsible for your personal safety, and must take care to safeguard it at all times. Please take the following precautions:
- Call 911 if you need help.
- If you notice anything suspicious or unusual, or at any time think that your personal safety is at risk, please contact the University Police at 911 immediately.
- Consider keeping a cell phone with you at all times, in case you need to call 911.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Check to make sure that you are aware of who is in the common areas and hallways of the building before venturing into them.
- Check the bathroom area before entering.
- Plan ahead to ensure that you stay in well-lit areas at dusk, dawn, or when it is dark.
- Do not walk alone after dark; walk with a friend.
- Doors and Windows
- Keep your room/suite/apartment door locked at all times. This includes when you are in the room and when you leave for any reason.
- Do not prop open any doors.
- Do not let anyone into the building. Anyone authorized to stay must use his or her own access card to gain entrance to the building.
- Do not unblock or leave any windows open.
- Non-resident guests are not allowed to enter the buildings during the break period.
Facilities and Services
- Report all doors, locks, windows, or lights in need of repair to the Facilities Service Desk.
- Fire alarm system testing, as well as repair and renovation projects, will be conducted in all facilities during the break period.
- Meal plans will not be available for Winter Break and J-Term.
- See the Dining Services web site for service hours and available locations.
- On-Grounds satellite mailroom locations will be closed December 19, 2018 to January 1, 2019. The Cauthen mailroom will be open between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. from Wednesday, December 19 through Friday, December 21. Please be sure to pick up any mail and packages that you will need before the satellite mailroom locations close on Tuesday, December 18. Packages will not be delivered to the University on the days that the University is closed.
- During J-Term (January 2-12, 2019), all mailrooms will be closed except the Cauthen mailroom, which will be open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Bus Service
- On-Grounds bus service will operate on significantly reduced schedules. See Parking & Transportation for specific information.
Before Leaving for Winter Break...
- Remove all holiday decorations.
- Make sure all water faucets are turned off to prevent water damage.
- Turn room lights off. Draw the shades/blinds and lock all windows and doors.
- Empty trash and recyclables.
- Do not leave your bike outside! It is more secure if you put it in your room.
- Motorcycles and mopeds, however, must be stored outside. They are a potential fire hazard and will be removed from student rooms.
- UNPLUG all electrical equipment.
- Empty, clean and unplug your refrigerator. Leave the refrigerator door open to prevent mildew.
- Take home any valuables.