- Must be enrolled as a full-time student in an undergraduate program or completing the final year of a fifth-year Master’s program, and must have at least one year experience as a Resident Advisor.
- Must be in academic good standing with their school of enrollment and must meet the minimum cumulative 2.25 GPA requirement at the time of application and while under the Program Agreement.
- Must be in good judicial/disciplinary standing with Housing & Residence Life and the University.
The Vice Chair may lead certain processes as delegated by the Chair(s) such as RA selection and promotion, or may lead in implementing other strategies developed and designed by the Chair(s), who are in turn working with professional staff. All such processes and strategies will be designed and implemented to better achieve Housing & Residence Life’s mission to work collaboratively to create inclusive, welcoming communities where residents are empowered to engage their potential as scholars and leaders through self-governance and participation in their residential community. They fulfill the functions listed below as well as other duties that arise or as assigned. Vice Chairs report(s) to the Chair(s).
Leadership and Development
- The foundational and most important responsibilities are to:
- Implement the overall goals and mission of Housing & Residence Life through the respective processes and strategies delegated by the Chair(s) and professional staff, through ongoing consultation with the Chair(s) and professional staff, and through active engagement and immersion within the residential community. This includes regular meetings and communications to ensure that other Resident Staff members or University partners contributing to responsibilities of the Vice Chair have the information and guidance necessary for the respective processes and strategies.
- Other responsibilities for this role include:
- Responsibilities could include designing and implementing processes and strategies, including managing budgets for those programs, as delegated from time to time by the Chair(s).
- Regularly assess the impact of the respective processes and strategies on the residential experience. Promote the recognition of staff members who are going above and beyond. Discuss performance concerns that may arise with Chair(s).
- The position begins following acceptance during the spring semester and runs through the summer, ending in May of the following year. During the spring semester, responsibilities include onboarding meetings, senior staff training sessions, and all-staff orientation. During the summer, the Chair(s) will delegate responsibilities to include helping to design senior staff training, RA training, and planning for the academic year. During the academic year, the time commitment is significant as the Vice Chair leads processes and strategies as delegated by the Chair(s) that support the mission of Housing & Residence Life, at the direction of the Chair(s).
- A furnished apartment/suite or room rent-free during term of appointment.
- Resident Staff Meal Plan - 410 flex dollars per semester.
- $1250 per semester (academic year) & $1000 (summer).
* Remuneration amount/type and Resident Staff Meal Plan amount/type are subject to change. Students receiving financial aid should confer with UVA Student Financial Services to understand whether some or all remuneration will be applied to reducing the balance of loans or grants in the financial aid package rather than in refunds of room and board payments.
Parking permits are not part of the Resident Staff remuneration. There is no requirement that any member of Resident Staff have a personal vehicle on-Grounds. Housing & Residence Life will send the name of members of Resident Staff to Parking & Transportation each semester. If a member of Resident Staff wishes to have a vehicle on-Grounds, it is their responsibility to purchase a parking permit from Parking & Transportation. The location and availability of parking is subject to change at any time. This includes but is not limited to special events, construction, or changes by Parking & Transportation.