Search This Site

Special Housing Accommodations

Special housing accommodations are available for students with disabilities or medical conditions that require accommodations such as wheelchair accessibility, modified safety alarms, air-conditioning, kitchen access, a single room, a service or assistance animal, etc.  All requests for accommodations are received and reviewed by the Student Disability Access Center (SDAC).

If you have any questions, please contact SDAC at 434.243.5180 or send an email to

How do I apply?

In addition to submitting your housing application to Housing & Residence Life, please submit a Student Request for Housing Modification form to SDAC.  Your treating provider will also need to complete a Verification of Disability form and submit it to SDAC.  All three items need to be completed by the appropriate application deadline below.

SDAC asks that you provide up-to-date medical documentation of your condition/need each year, even if you received special housing accommodations during the previous year.

Application Deadlines for 2022-2023

  • Returning Undergraduates applying to stay in the same residence area: November 1, 2021
  • Returning Undergraduates applying to live in a residential college or language house: November 1, 2021
  • Returning Undergraduates applying to live in upperclass apartments and JMW: January 21, 2022
  • Graduate Students: March 15, 2022 for returning residents; April 8, 2022 for new residents
  • Incoming First-Year Undergraduates: June 1, 2022
  • Incoming Transfer Undergraduates: June 1, 2022