What is McCormick Road Hall-Style Housing Like?
McCormick Road’s historic houses — Bonnycastle, Dabney, Echols, Emmet, Hancock, Humphreys, Kent, Lefevre, Metcalf, and Page — host about 1300 students in newly renovated halls, primarily in double-bedroom accommodations. Around 45 students live on each hallway and share a common bathroom. Two upperclass Resident Advisors live on each floor.
How the Houses Got Their Names
- Charles Bonnycastle, an Englishman trained at the Royal Military Academy, arrived at the University in 1825 to serve as chair of natural philosophy. He was a professor in the Department of Mathematics from 1827 to 1840, chair of the faculty senate from 1833 to 1835, and with his wife Ann Mason Tutt was the first tenant of Pavilion VI.
- Richard Heath Dabney earned a master of arts degree at the University in 1881, and returned to the University in 1889 as adjunct professor. In 1905, he was named the first dean of the Department of Graduate Studies. He served as associate professor of history from 1907 until his retirement in 1939.
- William Holding Echols earned a bachelor of science and civil engineering at the University in 1882. He returned in 1891 as adjunct professor of mathematics and superintendent of buildings and grounds, and lived in Pavilion VIII with his family. He is remembered for his efforts to save the Rotunda when the Annex caught fire in 1895.
- John Patten Emmet, an Irishman, studied medicine at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York. His reputation as a chemist attracted Thomas Jefferson’s attention, and he was offered the chair of the School of Natural History in 1825. In 1827, he became the University's first professor of chemistry and materia medica.
- Charles Hancock was born in Albemarle County, Virginia and attended the Miller Manual Training School, now known as the Miller School. He graduated from the University in 1904 and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and the Raven Society. He returned in 1908 as adjunct professor of mechanical engineering.
- Milton Wylie Humphreys graduated from Washington College in 1869. Prior to graduating, he was a leading ballistics authority in the Confederate Army. He taught ancient languages at Washington and Lee, Vanderbilt University, and the University of Texas before serving as professor of Greek at the University from 1887 to 1915.
- Charles William Kent was born in Louisa County, Virginia, and earned his master of arts from the University in 1882. Returning in 1887 to teach German and French, he became the first Linden Kent Professor of English Literature in 1893. He lived in Pavilion IV and then Pavilion V with his family (Pavilion IV became the office of President Edwin A. Alderman in 1904).
- Albert Lefevre served as professor of philosophy at the University from 1905 to 1928, was the third president of the Southern Society for Philosophy and Psychology, and associate editor of The Philosophical Review and the Virginia Quarterly Review. He helped organize the Southern Conference of the Intercollegiate Athletic Competition.
- John Calvin Metcalf was the Linden Kent Professor of English Literature at the University from 1917 to 1940. Metcalf also served as dean of the Department of Graduate Studies from 1923 to 1937. He received the Raven Award in 1938, as well as the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award in 1940.
- James Morris Page was born in Albemarle County, Virginia. A graduate of the University, he was appointed adjunct professor of mathematics in 1896, and named University Professor four years later. Elected Chairman of the Faculty in 1903, he later served as dean of the university and the College, positions he held until his 1934 retirement.
Amenities & Furnishings
1, 2, or 3 extra-long twin beds (80" x 36")
1, 2, or 3 desks and chairs
1, 2, or 3 dressers
Soft seating chairs (2 per room)
Window shades or blinds (must be left in place)
Wireless connection to the University's computer network
Laundry facilities located in Bonnycastle, Dabney, Emmet, and Humphreys
Lounges and group study rooms
The Castle dining
Observatory Hill Dining Hall
Newcomb Dining Hall
Aquatic & Fitness Center
Adjustable-height lofted beds80"L x 36"W x 60"HWardrobe72"H x 42"W x 24"D outside, with double doors (one door with mirror)Wardrobe interior23''W x 21 3/8"D x 67 7/8"H with 64" clearance to the barDesk30"W x 24"D x 30"HSoft seating (two per room)31"W x 24"D x 31"HDresser30"W x 24"D x 30"HWindow63"H x 45"W x 4"D inside
Adjustable-height lofted beds80"L x 36"W x 60"HWardrobe72"H x 42"W x 24"D outside, with double doors (one door with mirror)Wardrobe interior23''W x 21 3/8"D x 67 7/8"H with 64" clearance to the barDesk30"W x 24"D x 30"HSoft seating (two per room)24"W x 21"D x 31"HDresser30"W x 24"D x 30"HWindow63"H x 45"W x 4"D inside
Monday-Thursday: 3:00-7:00 p.m.
Friday and Sunday: 2:00-5:00 p.m.
Mailrooms are closed on Saturdays