Improving Comfort and Access
We are constantly in the process of identifying and pursuing renovation projects that will significantly improve operations, comfort, and access in older housing in order to align these buildings with facilities in the Alderman Road Residence Area.
McCormick Road Renovation Project
Last update: May 31, 2016
In Summer 2017, Housing & Residence Life will begin a building project to renovate the residence halls in the McCormick Road Residence Area. The project will take place in three phases:
- May 2017 to August 2018: Bonnycastle, Kent, and Dabney
- May 2018 to August 2019: Page, Emmet, Echols, and Humphreys
- May 2019 to August 2020: Lefevre, Metcalf, and Hancock
- Convert some ground floor areas into lounge, study, and other community spaces
- Add bedrooms to house approximately 60 more students (1,390 total students and resident staff)
- Replace heating, electrical, and plumbing systems
- Install air conditioning, full fire suppression, and elevators
Clark Nexsen is the architectural and engineering firm selected for the renovation project.
- The McCormick Road Residence Area is comprised of six four-story residence hall buildings (containing 10 houses) totaling 400,000 gross square feet.
- The current structures were designed by Eggers and Higgins (designers of New Cabell Hall, the Physics Building, and Newcomb Hall) and constructed between 1946 and 1951. The McCormick Road Residence Area opened to students in 1955.
- Current and former residents have indicated a strong desire to renovate the current structures rather than demolishing the existing facilities and building new ones.
Please contact us with any questions about the McCormick Road project.