Be A Leader, Contribute to the UVA Community
Housing & Residence Life offers employment opportunities for students and staff throughout the year. Each year we hire approximately 325 students who make substantial contributions to the residential community at UVA. We would love to have you join our team!
The Assignment Coordinator(s) is responsible for performing the day-to-day activities related to assigning undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and staff to on-Grounds Housing & Residence Life (HRL) spaces, as well as providing customer service and support to residents and their families as they make housing decisions.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Assignments, the position(s) will collaborate with other staff in the department to execute the housing application and contracting processes using StarRez housing management software. These processes are in a high-volume setting involving approximately 8,500 applications for 7,000 bed spaces located across 20 residential areas on Grounds.
Responsibilities will encompass a range of administrative activities, including making housing offers and assignments, ensuring residents are billed correctly for housing, managing move-in and move-out processes, providing customer service in person and via phone and email, updating records, and preparing reports.
Assignments and Contracts: 40%, Level of Importance - High
- In collaboration with each other and supervision, Assignment Coordinators execute multi-phased application, roommate selection, room selection, contracting, move-in and move-out processes for undergraduate, graduate and faculty/staff housing.
- Process applications, maintain waiting lists, prepare housing offers, and send communications. Follow up to see that applications are complete and deadlines are met.
- Respond to notification of cancellations and withdrawals from the University.
- Oversee room change/transfer request processes.
- Track keys and submit changes to building and room access.
- Ensure appropriate processing of housing charges and credits to resident accounts.
- Coordinate with Student Disability Access Center (SDAC) to facilitate assignments for students with medical conditions who need housing accommodations.
- Coordinate with Facilities staff to prepare spaces for occupancy or renovation.
- Coordinate with Residence Life and Conferences staff on transitions between summer and academic year.
Reporting, Analysis and Maintaining records: 20%, Level of Importance - High
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date housing records in StarRez.
- Verify eligibility of residents to live in on-Grounds Housing.
- Maintain electronic records of all correspondence with applicants and residents.
- Execute transfer of student data to and from Student Information System (SIS).
- Prepare and distribute resident rosters, expected arrival and departure lists, and occupancy reports.
- Respond to requests for information from auditors and benchmarking surveys.
- Create statistical reports and lists upon request.
Customer Service: 35%, Level of Importance - High
- Perform customer service to both internal and external customers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Provide helpful and accurate responses to email, phone and walk-in questions and complaints from residents and applicants. Including but not limited to: information related to on-Grounds housing and processes, referrals to appropriate University resources and information resources for Off-Grounds housing.
- Accurately explain and interpret housing agreements and policies, and enforce terms and conditions.
- Provide support and training on housing assignment processes to staff and student leaders.
- Provide first-tier review of requests for release from contracts or exceptions to policies.
- Represent HRL at outreach events such as on-Grounds and off-Grounds housing fairs and new student orientation.
Other Duties: 5%, Level of Importance - Average
- This position is responsible for other special projects and duties as assigned.
Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Required Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
Required Experience: 6 or more years of directly applicable work experience. Bachelor’s degree may substitute for experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy. Must be able to think systematically about complex assignment processes.
- Knowledge of and comfort with office technology, computer software (Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, and Outlook), and databases.
- Ability to learn new systems and processes quickly, and to respond to changing priorities while working in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to follow established procedures and adhere to policies, rules and guidelines. Ability to articulate policy and processes clearly and diplomatically.
- Ability to independently solve problems and organize daily tasks to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Proven excellent customer service skills with a diverse and large customer base and the ability to respond with tact and compassion to oral and written customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to interact with University administrators, government officials, students, staff, faculty, and parents with an understanding of protocol, political environment, security, and confidentiality.
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Preferred Experience: At least 4 years of experience in a residential management or student assignments area is preferred.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Direct experience with StarRez or similar housing assignments software system is preferred.
Level of Independent Activity
Work priorities are primarily set by supervisor. After appropriate training, the position will work independently on everyday tasks, seeking guidance on non-routine requests or activities. Must take initiative to problem solve, offer solutions to residents, and assist other Assignments staff.
No direct reports.
A competitive benefits package is offered. To apply, visit https://jobs.virginia.edu and search for posting number 0622548. Complete a staff application and attach a cover letter, resume, and the names and phone numbers of three professional references (indicating relationship of each). Review of applications will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
In addition to administrative positions posted on this page, please see the pages for Resident Staff selections for information on those openings and the processes to apply. Don’t forget that our friends in Orientation & New Student Programs offer job opportunities in which students welcome and support first years and incoming transfer students.
These positions are often the first step in a multi-year commitment with Housing & Residence Life. We place a great deal of trust in our students, and we value the contributions they make to our department and the University.