Learn to Live, Live to Learn
Unique on-Grounds living-learning communities, residential colleges mirror the ideals of Jefferson's Academical Village, where "shared learning infuses daily life."
Each of UVA’s three residential colleges - Brown College, Hereford College, and the International Residential College - has Principals in residence, Faculty Fellows, strong student governance, and a distinct identity. Each college offers unique culture, benefits, and student-driven programming. Students describing the residential college experience mention dynamic faculty-student interaction, amazing leadership opportunities, great food, a strong sense of belonging, a home away from home.
Residential colleges provide all the amenities and convenience of living on-Grounds while allowing you to:
- forge connections with peers and faculty that make a big university feel small
- participate in regular intellectual and social activities with faculty members outside of the classroom
- live with students from all four class years and learn from their knowledge of the University
- establish connections with residential college alumni that go beyond your class
- participate in common dining and socialize with community members
If you are interested in being part of a close-knit community that allows for meaningful interactions with peers and faculty, the residential colleges might be the right place for you! We encourage you to visit the page for each residential college to learn more about the communities, activities, and leadership opportunities available in this vibrant system.