Search This Site

2019 Move-Out Information

Summer's Almost Here

The end of the spring semester is fast approaching! Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about moving out of University housing.

Move-Out Frequently-Asked Questions



I'm an undergraduate student. When do I need to move out?

All on-Grounds undergraduate residents (including both first-years and upperclass students) must move out within 24 hours of their last exam or by noon on Saturday, May 11, 2019, whichever comes first. If you are required to stay on Grounds beyond that time, please see "What if I need to stay past the Closing date?" below.

I'm a graduate student. When do I need to move out?

Housing agreements end on May 31, unless you renew for an additional 12 months. Short-term housing extensions beyond May 31 for academic reasons may be requested by emailing but are not guaranteed. Residents on the Range move out the Tuesday following Final Exercises in May.
Graduate students living on Grounds will receive an email from Housing & Residence Life with graduate housing check-out and cleaning information.
See the Graduate Housing FAQ for additional details on graduate student housing.


HOW DO I MOVE OUT? (undergraduates)

How do I check out?

  1. Attend your RA's Closing Meeting. Your RA will provide you with the information you need.
  2. Sign up for a time to check out of your space with your RA. The deadline to sign up is April 30.
  3. Clean your room, remove all trash and take to dumpsters, and coordinate with roommates to establish responsibilities for cleaning any common areas, bathrooms and kitchens.
  4. Remove all personal belongings from your room and common areas. Leave the empty trash can and other Housing & Residence Life property in the room.
  5. Report any damages using the online work order system.
  6. Close and lock all windows, turn off all lights, close and lock all doors.
  7. Schedule a check-out meeting with an RA when you complete your move out. Return your key (if applicable) to an RA before you leave. Any key not returned will result in a lock change fee. If you use your ID to open your bedroom door, this item does not apply to you.
  8. The last resident to leave a room must have a closing walk-through with an RA to check the room condition compared to the condition at move-in. When meeting with the RA, explain who was responsible for any damages or condition changes. You may be charged for any damages or changes to your room, making it important to have dialogue with your RA at the closing walk-through.

What do I need to clean?

  • Sweep/vacuum the floor (including under furniture) and take trash to the dumpster. Remove wall hangings and all of your personal belongings.
  • Don't dump unwanted belongings - participate in UVA's Hoos Reuse!
  • If you rented a microfridge, you need to empty it, defrost it, clean it, and leave it unplugged. See Cleaning Tips.
  • Bice, Copeley, Faulkner and Lambeth: You are responsible for cleaning the oven/stove, the refrigerator, and the bathroom. See Cleaning Tips.
  • Brown College: You are responsible for cleaning the bathroom. See Cleaning Tips.

Where do I return my keys?

Schedule a check-out meeting with an RA for when you complete your move out. If you have a physical key, you must return it to an RA before you leave.

What if there's damage to my housing?

You may be billed for room damages beyond normal wear and tear. We encourage all residents to check out with their RA, as outlined above. This process allows residents to explain possible damages in rooms, hallways, and common areas. RAs and other University staff will assess spaces for billable damages during the move-out period. More detailed policies regarding damages are available at our Damages page.

How is parking handled for move-out?

Parking regulations are in effect and are not waived during the exam period. Move-out is not concentrated on two days like move-in, but is spread out over the exam period. While ticketing does occur during this time, Parking & Transportation (P&T) understands that students are leaving residence areas, and takes this into consideration. P&T will ticket vehicles that cause a safety concern, such as parking in or blocking a fire lane. If you need to temporarily park in a fire lane or on a sidewalk, we recommend that someone stay with the vehicle so you are not ticketed and the vehicle can be moved in case of an emergency. We also suggest that you reach out to P&T regarding parking in lots adjacent to residential areas.

What if I lost my keys or accidentally take them home?

If you have lost a physical key(s), notify Housing & Residence Life using the Lock Change Request Form. If you take your keys home, mail them immediately (overnight) to UVA Housing & Residence Life, Access Control, Gibbons House, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735. To avoid being billed, your keys must be received before your lock is changed for graduation or summer conference housing.

If you are locked out of your room, please call Systems Control at 434.924.3053 (day or night). There will be a $75 charge for after-hours calls.

A member of the facilities staff will be dispatched to your location. You must present a student ID or other photo ID (driver's license, state ID or military ID). If you do not have your ID, another student who has their student ID may vouch for you.

What if I accidentally leave belongings here?

The University does not provide storage for personal belongings after vacating and closing of residential spaces. If you accidentally leave an item behind:

  • Items remaining after a space has been officially vacated will be treated as abandoned property. You will be charged for the removal, transport and storage of all items:
    • Charge per box under 25 pounds: $50 (minimum charge)
    • Charge per box over 25 pounds: $75
    • Charge per fridge or TV: $100
  • To claim abandoned property within 120 days after the official vacate date, contact the Housing & Residence Life mailroom supervisor at
  • Property not claimed at the end of the 120 period will be sold through UVA Surplus Property or donated to charitable organizations.

What about my mail?

The last day for regular mail delivery is Friday, May 10, 2019. If you have been approved for Late Stay or are in Summer Session Housing, after May 10 you will need to pick up your mail from the Cauthen Mailroom in the Alderman Road Residence Area.

Starting May 11, 2019, first-class mail will be forwarded to your mailing address as specified in SIS. Magazines, newspapers, and packages delivered by carriers other than the United States Postal Service (USPS) will not be forwarded. Please note that mail will only be forwarded for 6 months. After that time it will be returned to the sender.

If you live on the Lawn or Range, please contact the U.S. Postal Service to request a change of address.

If you will be living on Grounds during the next academic year, your mail will be sent to your on-Grounds housing address after Opening.

Can I donate some of my belongings?

Yes! Hoos ReUse is an annual charitable donation drive that allows students living both on- and off-Grounds to donate gently used items during move-out. Students living on-Grounds are encouraged to donate clothing, furniture, electronics, non-perishable foods, and other useful items to benefit non-profits. Information including dates and drop-off locations is available at



WHAT IF I NEED TO STAY LATE? (undergraduates)

What if I need to stay past the Closing date?

If you wish to move out after noon on May 11, 2019, you MUST submit a Late Stay Application.

Late Stay Applications must be received by Wednesday, May 1 at 4:59 p.m. Not all Late Stay requests can be approved, and in order to qualify you must be one of the following:

  • A student taking spring semester exams scheduled after May 10, 2019
  • A student living in on-Grounds housing for Summer Session I (beginning May 13, 2019)
  • An athletic team member required to stay for continued participation in your sport
  • A member of the Class of 2019 participating in Final Exercises
  • A sibling of member of the Class of 2019 participating in Final Exercises
  • A member of a University group participating in Final Exercises
  • A student participating in a University-sponsored academic trip
  • A student with an international flight leaving after May 11 which was booked prior to April 10
  • A student needing to stay on-Grounds due to immigration status

If you believe that other extraordinary circumstances require you to remain on Grounds after noon on May 11, please contact Housing & Residence Life prior to the deadline. Note that completing the application does not automatically qualify you for a Late Stay. No Late Stays will be approved for later than Monday, May 20, 2019.

You will receive an email from Housing & Residence Life indicating whether your request is approved.

What happens if I'm approved for Late Stay Housing?

If you are approved for Late Stay housing, you will receive instructions for obtaining a door tag with your move-out date. Please note that if your room does not have a door tag, housekeeping and maintenance personnel have permission to enter as if it were unoccupied.

Students who are approved as Late Stays may be required to move into temporary housing on Sunday, May 12, 2019, between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m. You will need to pick up your keys at Housing & Residence Life offices in Gibbons House.

The cost for this temporary housing is TBD for 2019. Your approval email will note whether you are required to move into temporary housing.

Is there a charge for Late Stay Housing?

Students who are approved as Late Stays may be required to move into temporary housing on Sunday, May 12, 2019, between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m. The cost for this temporary housing is TBD for 2019.

Your approval email will note whether you are required to move into temporary housing. If you have to move to temporary housing, you will be charged.



Where can I find information about Graduation Housing for my family and friends?

Information is available at the Graduation Weekend reservations page.

Where can I find information about housing for the summer?

If you are enrolled in UVA Summer Session classes for credit during any of the three sessions, you are eligible for Summer Session Housing during your enrolled session(s). Details are available at our Summer Session Housing page.

If you are completing an internship in Charlottesville this summer, you are eligible for Summer Intern Housing. Information is available at our Summer Intern Housing page.