Search This Site

2017 Move-Out Information

The end of the spring semester is fast approaching! Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about moving out of University housing.

When do I need to move out?

If you live in a first-year area (Alderman Road, Gooch, or McCormick Road) and are not approved for a Late Stay, you must move out within 24 hours of your last exam or by noon on Saturday, May 13, 2017, whichever comes first. If you are required to stay on Grounds beyond that time, please see "What if I need to stay past the Closing date?" below.

Students in upperclass areas, except for the Lawn and Range, must move out by noon on Monday, May 22, 2017. Lawn and Range residents must move out by noon on Tuesday, May 23, 2017.

How do I check out?

  1. Attend your RA's Closing Meeting. Your RA will provide you with a key envelope for checking out, either at the meeting or during your closing walk-through.
  2. Sign up for a time to check out of your space with your RA. The deadline to sign up is May 3.
  3. Clean your room, remove all trash and take to dumpsters, and coordinate with roommates to establish responsibilities for cleaning any common areas, bathrooms and kitchens.
  4. Remove all personal belongings from your room and common areas. Leave the empty trash can and other Housing & Residence Life property in the room.
  5. Report any damages using the online work order system.
  6. Close and lock all windows, turn off all lights, close and lock all doors.
  7. Schedule a check-out meeting with an RA when you complete your move out. Return your key to an RA before you leave. Any key not returned will result in a lock change fee.
  8. The last resident to leave a room must have a closing walk-through with an RA to check the room condition compared to the condition at move-in. When meeting with the RA, explain who was responsible for any damages or condition changes. Closing walk-throughs and additional room inspections can result in you being charged for any damages.

What do I need to clean?

  • Sweep/vacuum the floor (including under furniture) and take trash to the dumpster. Remove wall hangings and all of your personal belongings.
  • Don't dump unwanted belongings - participate in UVA's Hoos Reuse!
  • If you rented a microfridge, you need to empty it, defrost it, clean it, and leave it unplugged. See Cleaning Tips.
  • Bice, Copeley, Faulkner and Lambeth: You are responsible for cleaning the oven/stove, the refrigerator, and the bathroom. See Cleaning Tips.
  • Brown College: You are responsible for cleaning the bathroom. See Cleaning Tips.

Where do I return my keys?

Schedule a check-out meeting with an RA when you complete your move out. You must return your key to an RA before you leave.

What if there's damage to my housing?

You may be billed for room damages beyond normal wear and tear. We encourage all residents to check out with their RA, as outlined above. This process allows residents to explain possible damages in rooms, hallways, and common areas. RAs and other University staff will assess spaces for billable damages during the move-out period. More detailed policies regarding damages are available at our Damages page.

How is parking handled for move-out?

Parking regulations are in effect and are not waived during the exam period. Move-out is not concentrated on two days like move-in, but is spread out over the exam period. While ticketing does occur during this time, Parking & Transportation (P&T) understands that students are leaving residence areas, and takes this into consideration. P&T will ticket vehicles that cause a safety concern, such as parking in or blocking a fire lane. If you need to temporarily park in a fire lane or on a sidewalk, we recommend that someone stay with the vehicle so you are not ticketed and the vehicle can be moved in case of an emergency. We also suggest that you reach out to P&T regarding parking in lots adjacent to residential areas.

What if I lost my keys or accidentally take them home?

If you have lost your key(s), notify Housing & Residence Life using the Lock Change Request Form. If you take your keys home, mail them immediately (overnight) to UVA Housing & Residence Life, Access Control, Gibbons House, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735. To avoid being billed, your keys must be received before your lock is changed for graduation or summer conference housing.

Please note that lockout service from the Key Room ends Friday, May 12 at midnight. Beginning Saturday, May 13, students will need to contact Systems Control and will be charged $75 for lockouts.

What if I accidentally leave belongings here?

The University does not provide storage for personal belongings after vacating and closing of residential spaces. If you accidentally leave an item behind:

  • Items remaining after a space has been officially vacated will be treated as abandoned property. You will be charged for the removal, transport and storage of all items:
    • Charge per box under 25 pounds: $50 (minimum charge)
    • Charge per box over 25 pounds: $75
    • Charge per fridge or TV: $100
  • To claim abandoned property within 120 days after the official vacate date, contact the Housing & Residence Life mailroom supervisor at
  • Property not claimed at the end of the 120 period will be sold through UVA Surplus Property or donated to charitable organizations.

What about my mail?

The last day for regular mail delivery is Friday, May 12, 2017. If you have been approved for Late Stay or are in Summer Session Housing, after May 12 you will need to pick up your mail from the Shannon Mailroom in the Alderman Road Residence Area.

Starting May 13, 2017, first-class mail will be forwarded to your mailing address, as specified in SIS. This does not include magazines, newspapers, and packages delivered by carriers other than the United States Postal Service (USPS). Please note that mail will only be forwarded for 6 months. After that time it will be returned to the sender.

If you live on the Lawn or Range, please contact the U.S. Postal Service to request a change of address.

If you will be living on Grounds during the next academic year, your mail will be sent to your on-Grounds housing address after Opening.

What if I need to stay past the Closing date?

If you are a student in a first-year area (Alderman Road, Gooch/Dillard and McCormick Road) you MUST submit a First-Year Late Stay Application if you wish to move out after May 13, 2017. The cost for an approved Late Stay is $27 per night per person. Not all Late Stay requests can be approved, and in order to qualify you must be one of the following:

  • Taking Spring Semester exams scheduled after May 12, 2017
  • Living in on-Grounds Housing for Summer Session I (beginning May 14, 2017)
  • A member of an athletic team required to stay for continued participation in your sport

If you have other extraordinary circumstances, please email First-year students who qualify as Late Stays will be required to move into temporary housing on Sunday, May 14, 2017, between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m. You will need to pick up your keys at Housing & Residence Life offices in Gibbons House.

Students residing in upperclass areas (including residential colleges) do not need to submit a Late Stay Application. You will sign up for a check-out time with your RA, and if your check-out date falls in the Late Stay period, you will receive instructions for obtaining a door tag with your move-out date. Please note, if your room does not have a door tag, housekeeping and maintenance personnel have permission to enter as if it were unoccupied.

Where can I find information about Graduation Housing for my family and friends?

Information is available at the Graduation Weekend reservations page.

Where can I find information about housing for summer session?

Information is available at the Summer Session housing page.